- in Accelerating the Transition, Air Pollution, Economics, Electricity consumers, Electricity Users, Energy, Energy storage, EVs, LNG, LNG Transition, Low Carbon Future, microgrids, Nuclear, Renewable Energy, Solar, Sustainability, Toxic emissions, Transition to lower carbon, Uncategorized
- Leave a comment
Why using Natural Gas and LNG is greener than wind or solar.
We need all of the emissions-reducing or eliminating technologies, but methane is now a waste product. It’s coming out of the ground faster than it’s being used, and if it’s not burned in flares, it’s being vented directly into the atmosphere doing 25 times more harm than the CO2 from combustion.
However, if we use it to make electricity, that can, in turn, replace even more fossil fuels, it’s a double win, and the net effect is a net reduction in GHG emissions.
Since natural gas is both schedulable and can add reliability to renewable electricity sources, it supports even more emissions-free electricity.
It is not a panacea, but when we are able to use it, it can replace coal with less than half the CO2 emission, and further eliminates all of the other toxic gases, and ash that burning coal produces.
The hold up with natural gas has always been getting from the wellhead it to the proposed point of use. That has been being solved by building pipelines, but now the powerful and twisted anti-everything advocacies have stopped that, leaving us with only the new solutions made possible by LNG.
And, now we have new effectively “anti-climate progress” groups evaluating and making scary pronouncements against LNG, and using the art of “Isolation,”to ignore the massive benefits that taking the gas emissions back out of the air at the source point.
Leakage, energy cost to liquefy it, product loss during shipping, and so on. What is not even alluded to is that without the LNG processes (Gas-to electricity-powered), there is 100% leakage directly into the atmosphere.
Every part of the LNG process is effectively taking otherwise burned or vented methane out of the air!
I am a nearly radical climate progress advocate, and, as a result, I’ve taken the time to research the whole end to end process, and that shows that Natural Gas and LNG use to make electricity is by far the most environmentally beneficial move we can be making.
In order to make the climate progress that is essential, we must use every tool we have available to reduce total emissions from making electricity. That includes Wind, Solar, Nuclear, and Natural gas, so why can’t we get our heads around doing what will work?
So, let’s start using our whole brains and heading toward the documentable paths that will work.
©William Ross Williams copyright 2019.
- Our status in the Universe.
- When Individuals Are More Innovative Than Teams
- A Brave and Startling Truth: Astrophysicist Janna Levin Reads Maya Angelou’s Stunning Humanist Poem That Flew to Space, Inspired by Carl Sagan – Brain Pickings
- Duke agrees to largest coal ash cleanup in US after years of fighting with environmentalists.
- Burn, Pay, Or Shut It Down: Three Evils For Permian Drillers | OilPrice.com